Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Titanic: it wasn't JUST the iceberg

I'll admit that I've never been overly-fascinated with the story of the Titanic, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Titanic: Voices from the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson.  The author did an amazing job at her research; the book's many photographs, quotes from survivors, and illustrations really drew me into the story.  By following a variety of individuals (such as a young boy excited to be on such a large ship, the two wireless operators who were sending and receiving telegrams as the disaster unfolded, and a mother with her two sons), the reader is able to put a very personal touch on the situation.  I learned a lot, too - there were all sorts of problems that made the shipwreck even worse.  Did you know there weren't even enough lifeboats for all the passengers and crew?  And some lifeboats weren't even full when they were lowered off the sinking ship?  And a ship that could have helped rescue those in the water didn't? A thoroughly absorbing book, even for those familiar with this tragic event.

No comments:

Post a Comment