Thursday, December 15, 2011

Who exactly IS Lemony Snicket?

I don't typically pick up biographies, but I couldn't resist when I saw Lemony Snicket (David Handler) by Dennis Abrams. Many of you probably know that Lemony Snicket is the author of A Series of Unfortunate Events, 13 novels about the sad, amazingly funny and awful lives of the three Baudelaire orphans. But you may not know that the author's real name is David Handler. Not too surprisingly, he's a pretty interesting guy, with interests ranging from humor to poetry to playing the accordion. That said, I had a hard time getting into the book. It felt like the author was trying to write like Lemony Snicket, whose style is so unique that imitation of it just doesn't work. I also thought there was a pretty weak connection between the text and the pictures. But maybe I'm not a good judge, since I don't read many biographies. What do YOU think?

No comments:

Post a Comment