Saturday, January 29, 2011

Remind me not to go to Mars...

Well.  I'm not sure if I'm exhausted or glad or what after finishing Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill.  I had a hard time getting into this book, but true sci-fi fans may enjoy it. Living on Mars, Durango is a teenage mercenary - a gunman or soldier who will do anything for money.  He and his crew have been hired to protect a group of poor miners from the nasty, cannibalistic Draeu and their equally evil queen.  Some parts of the book are clever and funny, like the conversations between Durango and the snarky Mimi - an Artificial Intelligence that has been flash-cloned to Durango's brain (got that?).  But I had problems with all the action - there was so much happening so fast, that I couldn't picture it, which was frustrating.  And I could never figure out what the title was supposed to mean!  The book is getting good reviews, though, so if you're comfortable with sci-fi and a higher reading level, give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment