Thursday, July 8, 2010

Brilliant + evil = really funny

I don't usually laugh out loud when I'm reading, but that wasn't the case as I cruised through I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President by Josh Lieb. Oliver is in 7th grade; his classmates think he's not too bright and at the bottom end of the popularity scale. They have no idea he's used his incredible brilliance to become the third richest person in the world. Oliver's got contraptions rigged all over school and unseen bodyguards everywhere, and he just has to mutter an order via the transmitter implanted in his jaw for his minions to carry out his every wish. (Doesn't like the couple making out in the hall? "Water sprinkler, sector 7" takes care of it.) But now he wants to win the class election - can he carry it off? Black-and-white photos and snarky footnotes add to the development of Oliver's wonderfully obnoxious character.

No comments:

Post a Comment