Thursday, June 24, 2010

A fantastic book to listen to

I recently took an unexpected road trip by myself, and I thought that listening to an audiobook might help pass the time. Wow, did I luck out! Love, Ruby Lavender, written by Deborah Wiles and read by Judith Ivey, was a huge treat. Ruby lives in Halleluia, Mississippi, and her best friend is her feisty grandmother, Miss Eula. When Eula decides to visit her new grandbaby in Hawaii, Ruby is devastated. The two trade frequent letters, and Ruby describes how she's raising chickens (humorously "liberated" by Ruby and Eula in the opening of the book), making a new friend, Dove, and figuring out how to deal with irritating Melba Jane, whose father died in the same accident as Ruby's grandfather. Ivey's Mississippi accents were just amazing - every time Eula mentioned "Hu-wah-yuh" I felt like I sitting across the porch from her, sipping lemonade. Going on a road trip yourself? This audiobook will make the time fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment